View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. A Buddhist Fairy Tale – Chapter 4 – Nothing Left to Lose – Part 11

The next morning after returning from the village we discussed our plight. “Listen carefully,” a John said, “just as one avoids a snake, we are leaving this village to protect ourselves and the villagers from unnecessary danger. I know you won’t agree because you would rather fight than run, but hear me out. Even if we could fight and kill all the soldiers in Ayatana, would we be closer to our key? Would the villagers who would sacrifice their lives for us be better off? Would the mothers and babies ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A Buddhist Fairy Tale – Chapter 4 – Nothing Left to Lose – Part 10

It was obvious from the dead dog and the crossbow arrow that someone from Ayatana had found me. I had to leave immediately. I no longer could put a John in danger.

My instincts told me to slowly back away from the dog and move toward the denser part of the forest, but just as I took a step I felt a pinch, then a burning. It didn’t feel at all like an arrow, but sure enough, there was an arrow through my side with its feathers sticking out near my naval and the tip protruding from ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A Buddhist Fairy Tale – Chapter 4 – Nothing Left to Lose – Part 9

Life in the villages was unhurried following the rhythm of planting and harvesting that had remained unchanged for untold generations. It was their custom to store one year’s supply of rice as insurance against a bad growing season. But they never stored more than that. They knew that two bad years in a row might cause a famine, yet they chose not to store more than one year. They had a profound understanding of the difference between need and greed.

The villagers preferred to risk ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A Buddhist Fairy Tale – Chapter 4 – Nothing Left to Lose – Part 8

My failure to remain in the moment became obvious when I nearly stepped on a deadly Russell Viper coiled in the middle of the path looking like an innocent pile of leaves. I just could not let go of the tiger episode. “Weren’t you afraid of dying last night?” I asked incredulously.

The fearless man laughed heartily, “I set my mind free of the tiger last night, but I see he still holds yours captive! In this very moment, this precious moment, there is no tiger; there are only your ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A Buddhist Fairy Tale – Chapter 4 – Nothing Left to Lose – Part 7

“This is enough discussion for one night,” a John concluded. “It is time to retire.”

We settled down in a clearing where there were two large trees. One was brooding, with its leaves hanging limp and its top bent over, while the other was open and expansive, its branches splayed out reaching for the heavens. I curled up under the brooding one and curiously noticed that a John, instead of lying down by his tree, sat up straight as a board. His legs were crossed with his feet resting ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast