• Blog Comments

Mara Pacers

Thoughts on attachment

Greetings and thank you Jarrath, and yes Jerrod is absolutely right, I believe it too :) Ajahn Brahm has given examples of this as well. I look forward to seeing you around the forum. With...

Mara Pacers 24th-February-2017 11:43 AM
    Jerrod Lopes

Thoughts on attachment

Welcome, Jarrath. I am glad that you are finding use abd comfort here. I agree with our view regarding the possibilities of stream entry in lay-life as I am certain Mara does. Be well.

Jerrod Lopes 24th-February-2017 05:10 AM
    Jarrath Boll

Thoughts on attachment

It is comforting to read your revelations. I am new to this forum and find myself looking for those who are committed to liberation beyond what seems the norm for laypeople. In contrast to...

Jarrath Boll 23rd-February-2017 08:41 PM
    Mara Pacers

Thoughts on attachment

Thank you for your kind words Marcia and Jerrod :) May you find peace and happiness and loose the burdens that cause suffering... That goes for me too lol and for everyone else as well :D

Mara Pacers 22nd-February-2017 09:09 AM
    Jerrod Lopes

Thoughts on attachment

Congratulations on you relief and the insights that lead to it. I am joyful for your having this experience. Be well.

Jerrod Lopes 22nd-February-2017 07:02 AM
    Marcia Beloved

Thoughts on attachment

Wow! Wonderful! Thank you for sharing. Mind as the chief leads the way. It is inspiring to me as a lay person that the arising of wisdom and the peelling away of ignorance is not confined to the...

Marcia Beloved 22nd-February-2017 05:59 AM
  • Donate Centre Expenses

• Healing the Fallout

Following the direction of the comments on my Presidential address to the BSWA’s March Annual General Meeting over the past month has been very interesting. The depth and subtlety of the issues identified around the Bhikkuni ordination has been quite remarkable. It has been a pleasure to see these issues unpacked and deconstructed by many very skilled and knowledgeable bloggers.

There have been three main sites I have followed that include the BSWA’s own Dhammaloka Community and our Dhamma TV site, but probably the site with the most interaction has been Ajahn Sujato’s Blog space. (Many thanks to Ajahn Sujato for hosting such a free and open discussion.) My hope is that all the monks and lay communities that are involved will read this and allow harmony, friendship and peace to be restored.One of the main themes that have emerged over the past month is the view that people have seen this trouble as being wider than the Bhikkuni ordination. The feeling is that Ajahn Brahm was out of favor with some of his colleagues before the ordination and the ordination was a catalyst to punish him, or perhaps bring him down a peg or two. In Australia we call it the “tall poppy syndrome”. This does seem to have validity as other monks from the same tradition have subsequently participated (at the same level as Ajahn Brahm) in Bhikkuni ordinations and virtually nothing has been said. I have been aware of what I have always put down as a relatively friendly rivalry between the Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Sumedho method of teaching. The perennial question of whether absorption (jhana) or wisdom is the best approach in meditation. In Australia it is like the debate about whether a Holden car or a Ford is best. In the early days when Ajahn Brahm was perfecting his practice I can imagine that there may have been some robust discussion amongst the different players to discuss which pathway was the best.

Ajahn Sumedho was the established authority in the West at that time and I could well believe that Ajahn Brahm may have come across as an upstart. Let me say that if that was how people did see him at the time, he is most definitely not that way now! I can attest that he is a very congruent, very sensitive, and a very wise monk. As for Ajahn Sumedho, he was one of my first teachers. His clarity and wisdom takes my breath away. He is one of the finest monks on the planet. The sad thing about today’s events is that it seems some of the perceived ill feeling is still being carried around by some of the monastic observers from that time. Further, it seems they may have infected some others who would not have known anything of what happened. Having said that and having practiced with and knowing both of these great monks over many years, I am absolutely sure that neither of these two gentlemen carries any of this past stuff with them. They are both greats of the Theravadin tradition.

Given that everyone of us also aspire to peace clarity and stillness as a background to operate our lives from, it remains for the rest of us to examine ourselves, identify any blockages, beliefs or pain that we have created around this issue and move to a place where harmony and peace can prevail. This is my plea to all the monks and laity involved in commenting on or participating in the BSWA and Ajahn Brahm lockout. Please find a pathway through all of this mess to peace and harmony. Harmony must come first before we can expect peace to arise. As a very minimum, if you feel disaffected you must start talking to us. As I have said at the AGM it is no fun being sent to Coventry, and it paints a very poor picture of Buddha’s wonderful pathway. We must all practice to be good role models in the world to demonstrate the truth of the Buddha’s message; otherwise, what is the point?

I know there are many Western monks out side Thailand who wish for this unfortunate episode to be over --- monks who would like to visit us and continue their friendship with AB. I am sure that there are also many Western monks in Thailand who would also like to remain friends with the BSWA. This whole issue needs to be raised to a level of maturity. It is unbecoming for us all to keep playing kindergarten politics.

We at BSWA do now understand that Bhikkunis in the Wat Pah Pong tradition will be a long way off. Having said that, we do not resile from our position with Bhikkunis. For all the reasons already outlined, they are now a permanent part of the BSWA. They are legal inside the Vinaya, they are a fact and we are overjoyed that they are now part of our landscape. We respect and honour WPP, but we do not wish to be reintegrated under the current circumstances.

Being affiliated with WPP would not fit with the BSWA’s constitution. This does not mean we do not want to be friends with you! Our roots are with WPP probably more deeply than many other branch monasteries. We all admire and respect the WPP tradition. Surely we can interact together in a friendly and harmonious way!

I respectfully ask the leadership of the Western WPP and the Thai WPP tradition to accept our overtures for harmony and peace so we can all live and learn together and propagate the Dhamma through this wonderful vehicle of Theravadin Buddhism.

Discuss this article in the Forum