• Recent Blog Entries

Franz Li

God, Prayers & Aspiration, Wishfull Thinking

Through social media I learned that an old school acquaintance was rushed into hospital recently. He suffered from Dermatomyositis that attacked the lung. Doctors tried antibiotics to little...

Franz Li Yesterday 12:40 AM
    Franz Li

Etiology, Right View, Brainwashing.

Learned a new word from Jonathan Rauch's article in The Atlantic: "How American Politics Went Insane"

From the dictionary: e-ti-ol-o-gy (also aetiology)
    1. The...

Franz Li 25th-September-2016 09:29 AM
    Leon Roijen

Little Sister

About five years ago, our dog "Little Sis" ("Zusje" in Dutch) died. She was a mix of Chihuahua, Miniature Pinscher and Yorkshire Terrier. We got her from an animal shelter, we were her third "owner"....

Leon Roijen 7th-September-2016 10:49 PM
    Leon Roijen

Sāriputta, a man of great humility

Sāriputta was one of two chief male disciples of Gautama Buddha along with Moggallāna, counterparts to the bhikkhunis Khema and Uppalavanna, his two chief female disciples. He became an arhat...

Leon Roijen 6th-September-2016 12:40 AM
    Franz Li

Right View & Brainwashing

Movie scripts are sprinkled with dialogs such as “Don’t go getting ideas…”, “don’t get the wrong idea …”

“Idea” is a funny thing. Once you “get” an idea, it is easy to perceive things framed by...

Franz Li 5th-September-2016 01:07 AM
    Mara Pacers

Decision making in the grey areas

Good Morning Blog :-)

As you know I've been trying to find a way through the minefield of relationships and attachment. After much reading and listening to sutta instruction and dhamma talks,...

Mara Pacers 28th-August-2016 10:33 AM
    Jo Tummers

The whole procedure starts again

Unfortunately, a few days ago I got a message from the parish in my home town that there was a mix-up. It seemed there was someone with the same name. So, I am still not officially out of the...

Jo Tummers 23rd-July-2016 07:56 PM
    Jo Tummers

Practicing in a non-buddhist environment

Most of my friends are not very spiritual. The few who are, are christians. Sometimes that feels a bit lonely, especially when a friend of mine asks me to attend a performance of the choir she is...

Jo Tummers 6th-July-2016 06:22 AM
  • Blog Comments

Franz Li

A bit of serendipity. Just read about Dr. Paul U. Unschuld of Berlin in the NY Times article "An Expert on Chinese Medicine, but No New Age Healer" (9-23-2016). The last few paragraphs echo ideas...

Franz Li 26th-September-2016 12:35 PM
    Franz Li

Our existence is Dukkha.

Franz Li 26th-September-2016 08:23 AM
    Jerrod Lopes

People are without the fundamental 'right view' that the world is what the world is. To see and recognize that the world is what the world is can be death to a lot of false assumptions and...

Jerrod Lopes 26th-September-2016 05:39 AM
    Mara Pacers

Little Sister

i think I do understand Leon :) It is especially in the difficult times that the Dhamma can lift our hearts and lessen the suffering. It doesn't mean that it is easy though... With Metta Mara

Mara Pacers 10th-September-2016 04:19 AM
    Leon Roijen

Decision making in the grey areas

About bringing peace to the heart: Reading Ayya Khema has such an effect on me, too, and need I mention Ajahn Brahm? :D

Leon Roijen 10th-September-2016 12:47 AM
    Leon Roijen

Little Sister

Thank you very much for your kind words, Mara. Before, I had read a lot about the Dhamma, but I only had an intellectual understanding of it. By going through this, with our Little Sis, I saw, I...

Leon Roijen 10th-September-2016 12:36 AM
  • Donate Centre Expenses

• Welcome RSS Feed

by Published on 16th-November-2012 08:50 AM

Transcendental Dependent Arising – this may seem like a forbidding expression, but the principles behind it are not so hard ...
    Published on 25th-June-2011 02:46 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners,
    3. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

You may take Refuge and take the Five Buddhist Precepts anytime right here from this page. Even if you have taken them before you can reaffirm them by going to a private place and chanting along (click play on the audio below). Going for Refuge and taking the Precepts define a person as a practising Buddhist.

Going for Refuge gives a continuous perspective on life by referring to one's conduct and understanding of the qualities of the Buddha (wisdom), Dhamma (truth) and Sangha (virtue). The Precepts are for reflection and to define one's actions as a responsible human being. There is a formal means of requesting Refuge and Precepts from a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni, which is as follows:

by Published on 16th-June-2011 03:14 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners

In early January I attended a talk given by Venerable Buddharakkhita. It was a very special evening devoted to a guided meditation and talk on Mudita - sympathetic joy. It is not a topic I have heard spoken of much before so I have written down what I learnt from him. Mudita is one of the 4 Brahma Viharas or Divine Abidings, the others being loving-kindness, compassion and equanimity. These are all powerful antidotes for self-doubt, unfriendliness, cruelty and unbalanced destructive mind states. ...
    by Published on 29th-April-2011 12:45 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Meditation
    Article Preview

One technique for managing anxiety and producing peace and calm is meditation. I have used it very successfully in managing anxiety and have learnt much about how to do it.

Meditation objects can vary and there is no one 'right' object that helps everyone to reduce anxiety. It is important to find the object that best suits you. ...
    by Published on 18th-April-2011 12:03 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Sangha
    Article Preview

Following the direction of the comments on my Presidential address to the BSWA’s March Annual General Meeting over the past month has been very interesting. The depth and subtlety of the issues identified around the Bhikkuni ordination has been quite remarkable. It has been a pleasure to see these issues unpacked and deconstructed by many very skilled and knowledgeable bloggers.

There have been three main sites I have followed that include the BSWA’s own Dhammaloka Community and our Dhamma TV site, but probably the site with the most interaction has been Ajahn Sujato’s Blog space. (Many thanks to Ajahn Sujato for hosting such a free and open discussion.) My hope is that all the monks and lay communities that are involved will read this and allow harmony, friendship and peace to be restored. ...
    by Published on 2nd-April-2011 07:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners,
    3. Sutta,
    4. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

The following essay is an edited transcript of a talk given at the Buddhist Society of W.A. on 17th April 2009.

As you read the word of the Buddha and get a feel for what he taught, again and again you come across the teaching of dependent origination (paṭicca samuppāda). It soon becomes quite obvious that this teaching is a very important part of the way the Buddha explained things. At the same time dependent origination is a difficult teaching to understand. This essay, then, is an attempt to draw out the most important aspects of dependent origination in such a way as to make it more easily comprehensible.
    by Published on 26th-March-2011 01:02 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Sangha
    Article Preview

It is with some regret that I need to report to our members the hardening of attitudes towards us and in particular to Ajahn Brahm by some senior monks from the Wat Pah Pong group, obviously still angry and annoyed over the Bhikkuni ordination in October 2009. I have just re-read my report from last year, and realized that the harmony and forgiveness I was hoping for last year seems still to be a long way away. It feels like things have got worse. Over the past year I feel our committee and our supporters have, in the interest of harmony and peace, suppressed a lot of feelings and words that could have been said, in the hope that the silence would allow these disaffected monks, who are displaying ill will towards Ajahn Brahm, a clear view of what they are doing in order for them to see where they are at. ...
    by Published on 26th-February-2011 05:09 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

One of our members recently wrote: "I am terrified of big hairy spiders ... I could never get close enough to a large spider to catch it and put it outside myself and would be extremely uneasy if I did not know where it was while I was in the House. I know it's pathetic, but I can't help it and would love any brilliant suggestions as to how I can get rid of this fear."

Here are some tips: ...