• Recent Blog Entries

Jong Woo

What If A Dragon Chases You!

It was a long time ago. I joined a 5day meditation retreat at one temple. I happened to hear about a story of a lady, who did not join out retreat but was there to see a monk for counselling.
    Her...

Jong Woo 3rd-December-2016 03:14 PM
    Jong Woo

Is Dharma Perfect?

One thing that I have been continuously bombarded with by my life, is disappointment. From one disappointment after another, it seemingly looks endless.
    I am bound to get disappointed because I...

Jong Woo 2nd-December-2016 04:18 PM
    Jong Woo

Is Meditation Such Terrible Thing?

It was a long time ago, I happened to overhear a conversation between some mid-aged Christian ladies in a bus.
    I didn’t meant to overhear it but as you know, the fact that they are both middle-aged...

Jong Woo 1st-December-2016 03:28 PM
    Jong Woo

That Is Not Real Buddhism!

The other day, I posted a writing and got a very surprising reply from one of the members of the community.
    I read it over and over again and with delight, I left a reply agreeing with every point...

Jong Woo 29th-November-2016 06:18 PM
    Jong Woo

Death, A Mind-Pulling Experience!

It has been almost a year since I began to listening to Ajahn Brahm’s talk.
    I have been doing it almost everyday.
    There are many benefits of getting brain-washed by Ajahn Brahm(I...

Jong Woo 27th-November-2016 07:19 PM
    Jo Tummers

I am more open about being a buddhist

My interest in the Buddhist path started about 16 years ago. Even more years ago, I became interested in the spiritual life, seeking refuge at first in the new age scene. My parents are Catholic and...

Jo Tummers 23rd-November-2016 05:55 AM
    Jo Tummers

I can't be found in the Catholic registers

A while ago I posted an article about me leaving the Catholic church. It seems that I am not in the official Church administration. I looked into the marriage license of my parents and it says I was...

Jo Tummers 23rd-November-2016 05:39 AM
    Franz Li

Latent Tendencies (Anusaya) & Our Mental Space

Oct-13-2016

This morning I was thinking about the monks and others who will soon emerge from the 3-month rain retreat. How we admire and envy the minds that have been cleansed of the usual...

Franz Li 13th-October-2016 11:47 PM
  • Blog Comments

Jerrod Lopes

Think about karma with relation to the defilements. Then think about no longer being reborn. How could each defilement lead to rebirth in any form? Let's not forget that rebirth in a heaven, as nice...

Jerrod Lopes 5th-December-2016 05:48 AM
    Jerrod Lopes

Think about karma with relation to the defilements. Then think about no longer being reborn. How could each defilement lead to rebirth in any form? Let's not forget that rebirth in a heaven, as nice...

Jerrod Lopes 5th-December-2016 05:48 AM
    Jong Woo

To Mara Pacers Thank your for your reply. Actually we are influencing things with our mind every second, with or without knowing, aren't we? According to Quantum Physics, observers influences...

Jong Woo 4th-December-2016 11:36 PM
    Mara Pacers

I think it's a problem with my language Stu. Listening to AB's the word of the Buddha sutta class yesterday, what I mean is the "no fuel" reaction/non-action. I'll stop here too. Thanks for your...

Mara Pacers 4th-December-2016 08:41 PM
    Stuart Corner

Mara, I think that we have each been taught different definitions of karma. In the version I have been taught, although there is a third (and indeed a fourth) kind of karma. There is nothing that...

Stuart Corner 4th-December-2016 04:41 PM
    Stuart Corner

Thank Jerrod. Joy indeed would be automatic. Same here, no offence taken, my good spiritual friend. :) Stu xxx

Stuart Corner 4th-December-2016 06:21 AM
  • Donate Centre Expenses

• Welcome RSS Feed

by Published on 16th-November-2012 09:50 AM

Transcendental Dependent Arising – this may seem like a forbidding expression, but the principles behind it are not so hard ...
    Published on 25th-June-2011 03:46 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners,
    3. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

You may take Refuge and take the Five Buddhist Precepts anytime right here from this page. Even if you have taken them before you can reaffirm them by going to a private place and chanting along (click play on the audio below). Going for Refuge and taking the Precepts define a person as a practising Buddhist.

Going for Refuge gives a continuous perspective on life by referring to one's conduct and understanding of the qualities of the Buddha (wisdom), Dhamma (truth) and Sangha (virtue). The Precepts are for reflection and to define one's actions as a responsible human being. There is a formal means of requesting Refuge and Precepts from a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni, which is as follows:

by Published on 16th-June-2011 04:14 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners

In early January I attended a talk given by Venerable Buddharakkhita. It was a very special evening devoted to a guided meditation and talk on Mudita - sympathetic joy. It is not a topic I have heard spoken of much before so I have written down what I learnt from him. Mudita is one of the 4 Brahma Viharas or Divine Abidings, the others being loving-kindness, compassion and equanimity. These are all powerful antidotes for self-doubt, unfriendliness, cruelty and unbalanced destructive mind states. ...
    by Published on 29th-April-2011 01:45 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Meditation
    Article Preview

One technique for managing anxiety and producing peace and calm is meditation. I have used it very successfully in managing anxiety and have learnt much about how to do it.

Meditation objects can vary and there is no one 'right' object that helps everyone to reduce anxiety. It is important to find the object that best suits you. ...
    by Published on 18th-April-2011 01:03 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Sangha
    Article Preview

Following the direction of the comments on my Presidential address to the BSWA’s March Annual General Meeting over the past month has been very interesting. The depth and subtlety of the issues identified around the Bhikkuni ordination has been quite remarkable. It has been a pleasure to see these issues unpacked and deconstructed by many very skilled and knowledgeable bloggers.

There have been three main sites I have followed that include the BSWA’s own Dhammaloka Community and our Dhamma TV site, but probably the site with the most interaction has been Ajahn Sujato’s Blog space. (Many thanks to Ajahn Sujato for hosting such a free and open discussion.) My hope is that all the monks and lay communities that are involved will read this and allow harmony, friendship and peace to be restored. ...
    by Published on 2nd-April-2011 08:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Beginners,
    3. Sutta,
    4. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

The following essay is an edited transcript of a talk given at the Buddhist Society of W.A. on 17th April 2009.

As you read the word of the Buddha and get a feel for what he taught, again and again you come across the teaching of dependent origination (paṭicca samuppāda). It soon becomes quite obvious that this teaching is a very important part of the way the Buddha explained things. At the same time dependent origination is a difficult teaching to understand. This essay, then, is an attempt to draw out the most important aspects of dependent origination in such a way as to make it more easily comprehensible.
    by Published on 26th-March-2011 02:02 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Sangha
    Article Preview

It is with some regret that I need to report to our members the hardening of attitudes towards us and in particular to Ajahn Brahm by some senior monks from the Wat Pah Pong group, obviously still angry and annoyed over the Bhikkuni ordination in October 2009. I have just re-read my report from last year, and realized that the harmony and forgiveness I was hoping for last year seems still to be a long way away. It feels like things have got worse. Over the past year I feel our committee and our supporters have, in the interest of harmony and peace, suppressed a lot of feelings and words that could have been said, in the hope that the silence would allow these disaffected monks, who are displaying ill will towards Ajahn Brahm, a clear view of what they are doing in order for them to see where they are at. ...
    by Published on 26th-February-2011 06:09 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Daily Practice
    Article Preview

One of our members recently wrote: "I am terrified of big hairy spiders ... I could never get close enough to a large spider to catch it and put it outside myself and would be extremely uneasy if I did not know where it was while I was in the House. I know it's pathetic, but I can't help it and would love any brilliant suggestions as to how I can get rid of this fear."

Here are some tips: ...

• Podcasts

Dhamma

Sutta
       Hint: to subscribe to a podcast, type or paste it's URL into iTunes (or similar)
  • Bhikkhunis

• Forum Threads

Dylan McDonald

Dhamma talk suggestions?

Thread Starter: Dylan McDonald

Hey guys, I noticed there was once a thread on here where one could request/suggest dhamma talk topics but that the thread is now closed. Is there another

Last Post By: Jerrod Lopes Yesterday, 02:11 PM Go to last post
    Winston Teng

Sharing my insight

Thread Starter: Winston Teng

I used to be all caught up in getting into jhana, all the lights and sounds, etc.

But then I suddenly realized one day that it's not about

Last Post By: Winston Teng 30th-November-2016, 04:36 PM Go to last post
    David Raisey

Lost in life

Thread Starter: David Raisey

I'm 51, I work part time (but they are trying to force me back onto full time) in a job that pays reasonably well. I also care for an 80 year old woman

Last Post By: Winston Teng 1st-December-2016, 10:05 PM Go to last post
    Daniel Wright

Vipassana and Samatha

Thread Starter: Daniel Wright

Bhanté,
    I am struggling presently with what I feel to be true but others, of more experience tell me otherwise.

I have taken the

Last Post By: Venerable Sunyo 11th-November-2016, 02:43 PM Go to last post
  • Donate Building Maintainance