• Books

by Published on 11th-February-2011 07:56 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Books
    Article Preview

I recently purchased all three currently available editions of Canon translations (BPS/Wisdom) for my Kindle (I also have the paper editions) via amazon.com. The Kindle (or its equivalent app on other device e.g iPad) has an excellent search and annotation functions.

I was listening to a sutta discussion by Ven Dhiravamso last night when he mentioned Anathapindika, one of the Buddha's great lay supporters, and said that he was described many times in the Canon. I decided to test this and opened up my Kindle Majjhima Nikaya and searched -- within a second I found 98 search results that I could immediately access. Some mentions were in the commentaries, but still that was a very amazing primer on the man. (Also chapter 9 of "Great Disciples of the Buddha" is devoted to him -- if by some chance you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it).
    by Published on 10th-February-2011 06:58 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Books
    Article Preview

One way to help solidify or spark an interest in meditation practice by children is to help teach them about Buddhism and the story of the Buddha. I think that forms a solid basis for showing the benefits of meditation, and also makes it less easy for children to rebel against meditation as "just something weird my mom or dad does." Here are some of my favorites -- all purchased and test-driven at home over the years... ...
  • Podcasts

Dhamma

Sutta
       Hint: to subscribe to a podcast, type or paste it's URL into iTunes (or similar)
  • Bhikkhunis

• Forum Threads

Venerable Sunyo

Upcoming Ajahn Brahmali retreat in Germany

Thread Starter: Venerable Sunyo

For all the European out there this may be of interest: a meditation retreat led by Ajahn Brahmali.

Title: Meditation with Inspiration

Last Post By: Venerable Sunyo 16th-April-2017, 01:21 PM Go to last post
    Stefano Grillo

Circular time

Thread Starter: Stefano Grillo

Dear Bhante,
    I have seen a couple of talks by Ajahn Brahm in which he says that just like 3-D space is curved (so that, to use an image that I

Last Post By: Jerrod Lopes 12th-April-2017, 11:05 AM Go to last post
    Ed Rock

Trump - Buddhism and politics

Thread Starter: Ed Rock

A recent article points to increased political resistance by the US Buddhist community. What are our thoughts on this in the Dhammaloka community?

Last Post By: Ed Rock 5th-April-2017, 08:28 PM Go to last post
    Franz Li

NDE, Meditation & "Jhana Practice"

Thread Starter: Franz Li

We learned that Ed and Jerrod both had NDE, and they both spoke of "jhana practice" rather than just meditation practice. It is good to demystify

Last Post By: Marcia Beloved 11th-April-2017, 08:14 AM Go to last post
    Bradley West

Emptiness

Thread Starter: Bradley West

Hi everyone,
    I am keen to know what emptiness means in Buddhism and where can I find more info on this subject?
    Thank you.

Last Post By: Venerable Sunyo 7th-April-2017, 09:08 AM Go to last post
  • Donate Building Maintainance