Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the Purpose of Punishment in Hell?

Thankyou for your reply, Mara. I was considering what was being said as a simile and it makes perfect sense to me. It was good to see that I may not have been wrong in my thinking - I really should have mentioned that in my OP.
    With Metta.

Thankyou for picking that up for me, Franz. No glasses and no sleep...Thankyou for your explanation too. I am young in my journey and having my errors pointed out to me is something that helps me to grow.
    Suhki hotu!

Thank you

Better to sweat than prepare to sweat. LOL
    “Here are roots of trees, here are empty huts – practice jhana! Do not be negligent! Do not regret it later!” - Buddha

5 Precepts Keeper Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello Robert and all

I've also frequently pondered cosmology and other things in the suttas. Now, the disclaimer is that fretting on such things is only papancha and it is not part of the dhamma path. This is my opinion and I do it nonetheless.
    Furthermore, the suttas were not exempt from human (non-arahant) involvement and mythical overlay, so like the bible or other "sacred" texts such suttas should be considered with a grain of skepticism and not be taken word for word.

Regarding hells and hell worlds, I would not say that the purpose is punishment but rather the spending of bad karma.
    Memories, form and cognition are impermanent that is true, but so is existence in hell.
    It is not impossible that beings in hell are reformed with their original form and mind, and maybe they are reformed over and over again just to endure more physical and mental torment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to make a note on Franz's post:
    Both are basically good guys who accumulated sufficient merits plus deep meditative practices to be reborn in the heavenly realms.
    Mara "lives" in the paranimmita-vasavatti deva ... which is part of kama loka (the sensous worlds). I assume it is the same with King Yama, who maybe is part of the yama deva ... although he clearly doesn't "live in the air, free of all difficulties.". My point is that rebirth in the top tiers of kama loka only requires good kama and wisdom, yet good meditation practice is not a criteria to get reborn here.