Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Wisdom of Lay Buddhists

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod Lopes View Post
    Can we please leave politics off of the forums or at least in a private group? This is NOT the place for such things. Thank you.
    Interesting. On this forum I saw a Thread called: Trump - Buddhism and politics.

Administrator/ 5 Precept Keeper Senior Member Jerrod Lopes's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What forum is the thread under? Is in a private group, papancha lounge? You see I didn't delete your political statements Franz? It doesn't take a good grasp of Right View to see I am talking about posts going forward.

Administrator/ 5 Precept Keeper Senior Member Jerrod Lopes's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any posts following this one need to be relevant, in my view, to the original post. Any that are not will find serious consequences.

I think its a great idea that is being presented to compile some comments on this forum into an organized learning tool such as a book. I have learnt a lot in here and it is positive reinforcement to share with similar like minded people. We all have the right intention which is to be open, honest and authentic in what we share and it is up to each of us to decide what resonates with us, what is helpful and what we leave behind. This is all part of the journey. I support this idea ..... as long as I get paid for any comments of mine that get published :-) ................... joking :-)

Thank you for all your kind replies!
    This has stirred a very interesting discussion, and I can see the opposition many people have to this idea. It reminded me of a sutta in Samyutta Nikaya (SN 16:13), where Ven. Mahakassapa asks the Buddha about why before the Monks where more diligent, even though there where less rules (Thats my interpretation). The answer the Buddha gave kinda fits in to what you where saying, about a "Counterfeit of the true Dhamma" being the problem, and that when Buddhists dont revere the Triple Gem, the training and Samadhi, the real Dhamma tends to disappear.
    On the other hand, I have heard many great talks by lay people, on BSWA YouTube, most recently by Sol Hanna, actually, which I found incredibly interesting, riveting and helpful.
    So can lay Buddhists distort the Dhamma? They certainly can, that is why when my mother or my cousin asked me to teach them meditation, I instead told them about a great place where a monk goes sometimes to give guided sessions and Dhamma talks (if anyone is interested, there is a tiny monastery here in Portugal, in the Ajahn Chah tradition, which I think is pretty incredible). But I do not think that means only monastics have interesting and beautiful things to share.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully said Joao

Such a thoughtful approach is likely to have great results.

Good luck with the project

With Metta

Mara